Saturday, February 12, 2011

See you in the funny papers.

Yom rishon, 9 Adar aleph 5771.

"Efraim," by Yoni Kempinski of Arutz Sheva and BaSheva

Comics have a lot to offer, besides their entertainment value.  For someone who is learning a foreign language, they have the benefit of being short and to the point, as well as having lots of pictures to help explain the writer's message.  Comics are also a great way to begin to understand what matters to a culture.

"How great!  Finally, good news!"
"The Kinneret rose 8.5 centimeters"
"That's great, but Israel is still too dry."
"Right -- eight and a half centimeters is really not enough!"
"Need to save the Kinneret!"
"I need the ruler just for a minute..."
"Where is the number... Here it is -- I found it!"
"I have something important to send to the Kinneret!  What's the address?"
This is a country of people who watch the level of a lake, because it's success is ours.  This is a nation filled with lots of people who pray for rain when we haven't had as much as we hoped for.  This is the only place I've ever lived where little children, partying teenagers, and workers for whom it is inconvenient are unbelievably grateful when it rains.  They may gripe a little...  but they also say "Baruch Hashem."


"You who listen to prayer, grant dew and rain on the face of the earth, satisfying the whole universe from Your goodness...  Spare us and have compassion on us and on all our produce and fruit, blessing us with bounteous rain."


Haveil Havalim #304, The Blog Carnival Went Bust Edition, is up at The Rebbetzin's Husband's place. Don't forget to vote for the homeless shelter!  Tomorrow's the last day to vote!

5 comments:

Isreview said...

I enjoyed that post . To tell you the truth living in the USA I always dreaded winter weather, especially snow, until I moved here! now I would be so thrilled if I woke up to a "confectionary sugar covered" city let alone a good blizzard once in a while!

I'm a "new kid on the block" wanted to introduce myself and my blog.
I love trying new things and giving my "2 shekels" worth on them.
You and your readers might enjoy reading my reviews.

http://isreview1.blogspot.com

Thanks for taking a look
Daniela

rutimizrachi said...

Welcome to the club, Daniela! Thanks for reading and commenting. Looking forward to reading what you have to say.

therapydoc said...

This is wonderful, Ruti. I'll be linking over to your blog. Thank you for your words at mine.

rutimizrachi said...

Thank you, TherapyDoc, for your kind comment, and for the work you do to educate. I suspect you save lives.

David Eastman said...

One of the many amazing things that has happened to me since I made Aliyah was the love for rain. The love of the rain, creates an even deeper love for my nation and of course Hashem. Rain in America was a pain here it's a blessing! משיב הרוח ומוריד הגשם!