Monday, July 13, 2009

Haveil Havalim #225 Lands on the Tarmac!

 Yom sheni, 21 Tamuz 5769.

Photo credit:  Avital Pinnick
I was going to tell you the the latest chapter in the story of the Gush Katif kipah; but today I spent two hours getting car insurance.  Then I went and listened to Nadia Matar.  So I will tell you the stories of the kipah and the car insurance, and maybe a bit about Nadia Matar, in a later post.  For now, I will give you a special treat.

The Welcome New Israelis Edition has just been posted over at Maya's place:  How to Be Israeli.

Haveil Havalim is always a nice roundup of the week's Jewish/Israeli writing.  This week is particularly rewarding, for a few reasons.  There are posts in which you can vicariously relive the adventure of the first planeload of Jews for this year's aliyah fever season, brought to you once again by that great choreography team:  Nefesh B'Nefesh, The Jewish Agency, and El Al.  There are other excellent and well-written articles on a variety of topics.  From a writer's/contributor's perspective, this is my favorite Haveil Havalim edition so far, for two reasons.  Maya gives excellent guidance to contributors, much of which has never occurred to me before.  And she has clearly read and commented thoughtfully on each and every contribution.  Kol hakavod, Maya!

Please read through this issue -- and take an opportunity to look through Maya's blog archives as well.  Here is an olah chadasha with some great tips for How to Be Israeli.  Why re-invent the wheel, when Maya can save you so many headaches?

And don't lose patience with me, please.  The story of the kipah is still unraveling...

3 comments:

Ye'he Sh'mey Raba Mevorach said...

But did he LIKE it? Did it fit? I am on tenterhooks (or kotzim, for the Hebrew speakers).

rutimizrachi said...

Oy, dear friend! I hate to see you hanging there on kotzim! The kipah is in our village... now we simply have to perform the feat of getting it into our house. It has been a comedy of errors thus far. Today, bs"d, for sure we will see it "on person."

Ye'he Sh'mey Raba Mevorach said...

I should have known. :) I'm calm, and I'm (working on) being patient. Like everything else, it's on G-d's time, not mine.