Saturday, September 12, 2009

"I will sing and chant praises to Hashem."

Yom rishon, 24 Elul 5769.

This seems to have been a Shabbat of hoda'ah (gratitude).

Friday night, there was a very lovely gathering in a home in my community for the best possible reason:  a terrible tragedy was averted, and a family continues to be whole, with no one missing at the Shabbat table.

A lovely young woman who is well known for her giving nature put her tiny body in the way of a vehicle as it rolled downhill with her small children inside.  Instead of careening out of control down the steep grade and into who-knows-what tragic ending, the car's encounter with 40 kilos of mere woman caused it to be deflected into a nearby boulder, which stopped it, and saved the children.

















Her husband immediately made a seuda hoda'ah -- a feast of thanksgiving -- inviting the community to share dessert and an opportunity for a communal sigh of relief.  He spoke beautifully of his gratitude to the community that came together to volunteer assistance; to his wife for her courage and grace throughout the pain; to his teenager for being wise enough to see how fortunate we all are; to Hashem, for allowing his family to remain whole.  He suggested to the friends that overflowed his home that we should not put off our gratitude, but should express it while the emotions are still palpable.

Rabbi Dr. Tzvi Hersh Weinreb wrote an important d'var Torah on the week's parsha.  He reminds us that "thank you" are "the most important two words in our language...The world would be a much better place if we each could cultivate an 'attitude of gratitude'."

With that in mind, I want to add my thanks.  Thank You, Hashem, for saving my friend's life, and the lives of her children.  Please give a refua shelaima to Elana Michal Bat Tamar Chana.
  
And while I'm at it --  Thank You for allowing my family to live in this remarkable community, in this very beautiful and special, holy country.  The many things I have to thank You for would take more than one blog post; but at least I can offer a few words of thanks before I sleep tonight.

Thank You for giving me vision to appreciate the very tiny beauty around me.               

Thank You for giving me the time to watch life unfold in this amazing Land.


Thank You for letting me live in a country where there are peaceful, tranquil waterfalls and walkways, even in the center of the holiest city on Earth!


Thank You for letting me live in a country with a tallit for a flag.

Thank You for allowing me to live in a land whose ancient history is all around us, and proves that the Tanach You gave to us is a living, factual document.
 
Thank You for letting my family live in a land where it is easy to keep things in perspective -- if we just remember what it is we're looking at.
 
Thank You for the fact that the guys in our skies are the good guys...
...and the bureacrats take the time to become one's friends.


Oh, another thing, Hashem.  Remember that time we were walking in Givat Sha'ul, and the Dearly Beloved and I were really missing our Rav from the old country?  And suddenly, out of nowhere, You sent us that little hug?  We really appreciated that, Hashem.  Thank You!

P.S.  Thanks for another year of life.  My bracha is that everyone who reads these words is blessed to develop an increased attitude of gratitude this year.  May we finally say the words and do the actions that will bring the Geula.  May all of Hashem's Am Segula finally come Home.
P.P.S.  And thank You for making me a woman!  (The guys are leaving for slichot in about two hours.  I'll try not to snore too loudly.)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Tante Rus, for reminding me about this vital principle of life- acknowleding all the good that we have and all the good that's happening around us. Also, thanks for the beautiful photos!

Baila said...

We have so much to be thankful for. I try to remember that as much as I can.

Thanks for the reminder.

The Sussmans b'Aretz said...

Beautifully said, as always. Wow!

Avi said...

Let me add my thanks to HaShem for giving me the wisdom to marry you. I am very proud of you. For my life I thank G-d; for me I thank you. You make things possible and beautiful in this world. Happy birthday my Princess.

Ye'he Sh'mey Raba Mevorach said...

Amen!

Thank you, Hashem, for my beloved friend Ruti, for giving her the talent and skill to say it all SO BEAUTIFULLY and for letting me be connected to her, and through her, to you!

Sari said...

I seldom comment on stuff, but this one hit all the way home. May this be a healthy, happy and prosperous year for your entire family, for the community and for Am Yisrael.

Anonymous said...

you know how when a woman gets married she becomes more beautiful. Her husbands appreciation of her virtues makes them sparkle more brilliantly . This is how it is with this blog Ruth, you appreciation of Eretz Yisroel and all things holy brings out their intrinsic beauty for all of us to marvel at. Thank you

Anonymous said...

Now I feel guilty that I didn't go to slichos last night (and I AM a man!!) Your blog does not usually make me feel guilty, I'm surprised...

rutimizrachi said...

Wow. A lot of hoda'ah out there, from very precious neshamot. Thank you "for adding your light to the sum of the light." Some of you are anonymous, and I don't know who you are. But thank you for keeping me writing. To those of you I know and love, I keep being humbled that I am blessed to have you in my life. Hodu Lashem, Ki Tov, Ki L'Olam Chasdo.

in the vanguard said...

Wow - this is a great line:
"Thank You for letting me live in a country with a tallit for a flag."