Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Hashem runs the world. Thank G-d for THAT.

Yom shlishi, 20 Iyar 5770.

Forgive me for a personal flashback.

I just realized another one of those "Hashem is in our lives every moment" moments.  Twenty-eight years after the fact.

I showed up one day late to my first duty station in the military.

(You have to understand that my son, Stunt Man, is going into the IDF today; so this stuff is kind of on my mind.)

I was supposed to fly to Germany, to arrive at my first post, a day before I made it.  I overslept, and missed my flight.

It's probably important to the story for me to share with you that I am not "laid back" about time the way Stunt Man and the Dearly Beloved are.  If they are late for stuff, they cope.  Y'know?

I share in common with the Yeshiva Bochur the. absolute. need. to be ON TIME.  To be right.  I was totally devastated when I realized that I was still in New York, and that my scheduled flight was on its way to Germany without me.

I was late for my very first military job.

What would they think of me?  What could they think of me???  I would probably end up in the stockade.

Disgraced.

(Fortunately, the Army is made up of people who are used to dealing calmly with people like the Stunt Man and his father. Nothing bad happened.)

So what is this post about?

Hashgacha pratit.  That's what.

I met my boys' father the night I arrived in Germany.  He was the duty officer. 

Somebody else was the duty officer the night I was scheduled to arrive...

This post is about how nothing in Hashem's world is by accident.

Soldier Boy, Yeshiva Bochur, Stunt Man, and Sports Guy -- and 28 years of my happiness -- are a direct result of a missed flight.

Who can understand the ways of Hashem?



Who knew?
[pause]
I guess He did.  That's what it's all about.

Glossary: 
Hashgacha pratit: the knowledge that Hashem is concerned with every aspect of the day-to-day lives of His created ones.  He really, really cares about me as an individual, and about you, and you, and you, and you, and...
Post a Comment