Monday, September 21, 2009

What a country!

Yom sheni, 3 Tishrei 5770.

Rosh Hashana is all about reminding ourselves that Hashem is our King, and reminding Him that we would prefer that He look over our deeds of the past year through His attribute of mercy, rather than through His attribute of justice.  (As a principle of a girls' school intoned in a sepulchral voice years ago, when fielding her students' questions about justice, "You think life isn't fair, ladies?  You want fair?  I don't think you really want fair..."  The ladies in question had no trouble rethinking their position, when it was put to them like that.)  

Needless to say, this pursuit of mercy calls for a lot of prayer.

While the heavier aspects of the New Year are somewhat ameliorated by lots of great food and time with friends and family, one of the most interesting customs is the simanim, explained by Artscroll as "significant omens."  We eat symbolic foods at the evening meals, saying blessings that play with the Hebrew or Yiddish names for the foods.  There is much talk of increasing our merits and asking Hashem to get rid of our enemies.  As time has gone by, we have enjoyed additions to these portentous little word games, sometimes in English.



We had more fun with our simanim this year than I can remember, mostly because we took ideas from everyone.  It didn't hurt that the traditional fish head was as big as a football.  Of course, for some of my manly men, I had to offer an alternative.  Usually, I manage to find "gummi fish" to get the squeamish past the quite important blessing about being more like the head than the tail.  But this year, I just couldn't find our traditional substitute.  Well, not one to make the boys suffer, I came up with a home-made version:



I served it with the following gentle reminder:  "Anyone who doesn't clearly see that this is a fish head will be dining on Charlie the Tuna with me."   The relevant players suddenly became great fans of jelly bean art.


Some of our favorite simanim at this year's celebration were:

...that we may enjoy peace!

...that our enemies' anti-Semitic propaganda be squashed!




...that we all live in harmony!
 courtesy of the Hurwitz family


...that we kin stay pumped about fulfilling the mitzvot(This one was from our own Sports Guy -- who else?  Next year, I'll have to season it with cinnamon and sugar.  Sports Guy almost invented a new event:  "pumpkin hurling.")      

...sheyichamsu et oyveinu! (from the brilliant and talented Gottlieb kids)

 

...that we "gezer togezer" to celebrate what we all hope and pray will be a very, VERY good year -- for our families, our neighbourhood, and our land.  AMEN!  (Brachot and Canadian spelling brought to you buy Harvey Poch.)

For a nice explanation and description of the symbolic foods, see Rabbi Moshe Lazurus' ABCs of Rosh Hashana.

Oh, and another thing:
"Cola Wars" are an entirely different story here.  It's all about which company can give the best matanot (presents).

I love living in a place where even the cola companies pay attention to my holidays for a change.

8 comments:

sandra said...

Once again, thanks for the entertainment.

Ye'he Sh'mey Raba Mevorach said...

I can't believe you missed the old favorite (which we did not make up, but we do not miss): We take celery, fill it with peanut butter (to make the raisins stick) put raisins along the length. This is known as "ants on a log" where I came from, but our blessing is that we should have a raise in salary. (Everyone groan together, but it seems to work.)

rutimizrachi said...

Sandra: Anything I can do to make your klita easier. ;-)

YSRM: I knew I could count on my trusty readers to fill in the gaps. :-D Besides... I'm hoping to pick up even more ideas for next year.

Baila said...

Loved these. I've also heard of the "Raisin Celery" one as well. Be'ezrat Hashem, next year, I'm going to surprise my kids with a candy fishhead -- they are totally disgusted by the real thing. Remind me, okay?

Ye'he Sh'mey Raba Mevorach said...

I forgot to say! We MOLD a fish head out of tuna salad. This year I splurged and bought canned salmon instead. Olive ring for an idea. You get the idea. LOL

No food coloring allowing in our house. Makes certain young men CRAZY.

rutimizrachi said...

Baila: I've got "remind Baila" in my calendar. (Now if I can just remember what the heck that means next year...)

YSRM: Oh, is THAT what does it? I should stop blaming their father for his genetics???

Ye'he Sh'mey Raba Mevorach said...

ROTFL

Chava Levin said...

There is the noodles one - with a yehi ratzon that all our children become talmidei chachamim. It is called the Itri-ot (courtest of Rabbi Y Karsh). And the puff pastry, cut into fingers, folded over 180o and baked for dessert with sugar and cinnamon -- alei batzak, because we are turning over a new leaf and doing better in the coming year... and the four pieces of lettuce (chassah, dalet chatichot: as an acronym for chessed...)