Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Voting, Springtime, New Beginnings

Yom revi'i, 22 Shevat 5772.

Yesterday was voting day in the Gush.  (Finally!)
Signs, signs, everywhere a sign...
Several of us who live on this street thought it was a celebration about us!

We've behaved better.  We will again.  Fortunately, those who spoke out against the questionable election behavior outnumbered those who participated.

(It was also Valentine's Day, in case you thought we didn't observe the "really important" holidays.)

The morning after.  Nice cleanup, guys!  Thank you!
Looks just like my street again.

The bottom line is that the post has been filled, presumably by someone who will try his best to build and maintain unity among his supporters and his opponents.  May Hashem bless him and us with success in the things that truly matter.

As more than one writer pointed out, it is important to take advantage of the privilege to vote afforded in the only true democracy in the Middle East.

Sports Guy's voter's card
Our 17-year-old Sports Guy voted:  something he would have had to wait another year for in America.  His father and I are proud of him.

@%@%@%@%@%@%@%@%@%@%@%@

We don't need the groundhog in Israel.  We have the almond blossom.  The weather man says we should expect cold and even snow over Shabbat -- so I thought I'd better capture the springtime to gaze at when the temperatures drop.




@%@%@%@%@%@%@%@%@%@%@%@

There's a new kid on the block in Israeli journalism, brought to you by an old favorite of mine -- David Horovitz -- who recently retired from his position at the Jerusalem Post.  David is much more middle-of-the-road than I am; but he has always seemed reasoned and fair.  Please give his new publication, The Times of Israel, a place among your sources on the Israel news scene.  My bracha for the fledgling venture:  "May your entire staff be blessed with clarity, with wisdom, and with much success in meeting your noble goals. May The Times of Israel be a light unto the journalists of the nations."


Here's hoping for good news through the month of Shevat!

5 comments:

sparrow said...

Thanks for your heads up on The Times of Israel. Big hugs to you.

sparrow said...

Thanks for the heads up on the Times of Israel! It is now my new home page. I had become frustrated with Jpost online. Too many adverts and too much of it closed off to the online version unless you paid to read. Mazeltov David Horowitz.

Susan said...

I thought your posts define 'middle of the road' - did I get that wrong?

rutimizrachi said...

Sparrow: Thanks for the lovely comments. Both of 'em. ;-) I agree with you about the online JPost. Hopefully, TTOI will stay as user-friendly as it is now.

Susan: I'll take that as a compliment. (That's how I stay happy.) :-D I actually don't take a lot of time on the blog for my politics, because there are so many people more qualified to write politically than I am. But usually, my politics are just to the right of Attila the Hun. (See? Ultra-Conservatives can be warm and fuzzy, too.)

Ye'he Sh'mey Raba Mevorach said...

Amen to your bracha for the Times!