Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Weather Reports

Yom shlishi, 4 Tevet 5771.  Happy solar birthday, Dearly Beloved!
 

I have mentioned before how much fun it is to have an online community email list that is frequented by interesting people who love to help each other.

It's a pretty nice way to communicate other issues as well.  For instance, we just had the first serious winter storm of the season.  Of course, there is the usual communication that makes a list so helpful:

How do we find out if there is school today?

Is school on time?

School is open today, right?  How do we find out for sure?  High schools?  I'd hate to send the kids out to wait for buses that aren't coming.

We called my son's bus driver and he assumed business as usual. The snow is pretty superficial. Big question is if there's ice on the roads. I assume there would have been an announcement of some sort if there was any problem. But dress the kids really warm cuz it could take longer than usual...

And the final, authoritative word:  SCHOOLS ARE OPEN REGULAR TIME

But then there was the stuff that makes living in Neve Daniel, with our amazing winds and our not-boring listmates, so much fun:

There is a black bicycle helmet with yellow flames in my yard.  The wind probably put it there. If you are missing it, now you know where it is :-)

Has anyone seen a black barbecue cover flying around anywhere? Our bbq is cold.

Green schach-mat bag on our porch. If you are missing one, we will be happy to return the one that just landed on our mirpeset. That is, if it is still on our mirpeset when the storm has passed...

Yair's beloved kippa flew off in yesterday's storm.  It is large and black with purple trim.  Please let us know if  you find it.

Happy Precipitation,

Nava


And my own contribution to the weather report:

Just now, btw, I am listening to the wind take red roof tiles off of a part of my roof and dash them to the patio below.  The sound is somewhere halfway between beautiful and destructive.

May the rain follow, and it will all be worth it.  (I feel bad for my landlord, though.  He really liked adding those tiles...)


Where the tiles used to live.

Where they landed.  Crash!  Bang!  Smash!

After the Dearly Beloved cleaned up.

The wind was so strong, it blew furniture around the yard.

Sigh.  If we get lots of rain, the cleanup will be worth it.

I hope all items found their owners, and not too much of value was lost or destroyed.  I give the kids a bracha for a snow day -- and their parents a bracha for not too many snow days.

And I thank Hashem for the blessing of rain.

May it continue until our worries of fire and drought and famine have passed.  May this year truly be blessed, with rain in its proper time for our crops and our cattle, with good health and good friends.

Happy solar birthday, Dearly Beloved!  Till 120, in good health.

Glossary:
Schach-mat: used to cover the traditional temporary dwelling we build at the Festival of Tabernacles.
Mirpeset: balcony
Kippa: scullcap

7 comments:

Laura said...

Wow! I got quoted twice in Ruti Mizrachi's blog! :-)
Amen to your final words.
~Laura

bataliyah said...

You have such a gift for making every day life in Israel fun. I so enjoy your voice and hope you keep writing forever.

Anonymous said...

We found a black barbeque cover in our garden, do you think it flew all the way to Ra'anana?

;-)

Anonymous said...

I recognise that sofa......

rutimizrachi said...

Laura: Famous writers always get lots of air time. I know the rules. ;-)

Bataliyah: I'll take that as a bracha!

Miriyummy: It's a small country...

Anonymous: Oops... heh, heh... Will it help, Susan, if I tell you it was well-loved through the summer?

A friend wrote the following:
"I really wanted to - and tried to - post my comment to your blog this time but for the life of me couldn't figure out how! So please just let your list know that it's been mighty windy here in Baltimore, too, the past few days (and it always makes me feel connected to Home when our weather is similar) so if anyone in Neve Daniel finds our black garbage can, they can keep it - and use the cover for their grill!

"May it continue to pour - l'bracha v'lo l'klala.

"Gotta go take on the cold, windy day.

"Love, S."

Thanks for commenting, my dear S!

David Eastman said...

It seems as if breakage always finds the Eastmans, even if the brothers aren't there... Happy Birthday Abba. You are your sons hero. Thank you for being the rock we can always rely on, and the rock who will occaisonally teach me some cool riff on the guitar. May you bring music to the world for many healthy and fun years! Rock on Strung Out Quartet!!

rutimizrachi said...

Abba was very touched, dear Exiled Warrior. Are you coming home for Shabbat?

Love,
Ema