Monday, February 15, 2010

Look what the cat dragged in.

Yom sheni, 1 Adar 5770, Rosh Chodesh Adar.

One of the delightful things about my early morning sojourn to ulpan is the stroll down Rechov Emek Refaim.  You never know what you'll see.  This morning, the cats were all lined up for their appointments at the local veterinary clinic.

Or so I thought.

I observed in sociological fascination to learn that Israeli cats wait in line much as Israeli people do.  ("Are you before me?  Who is after you?"  "I'm after him, and her, and before you.  Watch out for the big one.  He always slips in at the last moment, claiming he's in pain and can't speak Hebrew.")

Then the veterinarian stepped out, and cleared the matter up for me.  "They're just waiting for the most recent issue of Haveil Havalim," she explained, in perfect English.  As the cats devoured the "Rosh for Chodesh Adar, Not a Joke" edition, I marveled at how fortunate we humans are.  We don't have to wait in line for some well-meaning but overburdened physician to bring out copy out.  We can just pop over to Batya's place at Shilo Musings, and pick up our very own copy.

Glossary:
Ulpan: intensive Hebrew-language immersion class
Rechov: street

3 comments:

Jack Steiner said...

Soon they'll be waiting for their copy of your edition. :)

rutimizrachi said...

Jack: I'm anticipating that mine will have gone to the dogs before they get there. ;-)

Batya said...

adorable! Thanks
Have fun with your HH!