Thursday, October 8, 2009

Monday, the J-Bloggers Chilled


Yom shishi, 21 Tishrei 5770.


When the Dearly Beloved and I were discussing the first J-Bloggers' Convention last year, we fantasized that it would be a big auditorium filled with people with laptops, furiously typing away to each other, with zero eye-contact.  After all, even though we commented on each other's blogs regularly, most of us had never met in person.  What could we possibly talk about, without the benefit of Google and spell-check?

After both last year's and this year's J-Bloggers' Conventions, the biggest complaint was that there wasn't enough social time around all the programming.  So this year, we decided (via comments on each other's blogs, natch) to create our own social gathering.  And, since we were in charge, we decided to invite family, lurkers, and readers.


RivkA (with a capital A) from Coffee and Chemo organized the event (and continued organizing, even during the event).  We met at the Japanese Bell in Gan Sacher, where rumor had it there was a sukkah.  It took the Dearly Beloved and a couple of other intrepid souls a bit of a hike to find it; but there was, indeed, a very tiny sukkah (conveniently placed near a large, open-air beer stand).




I met "friends" whose writing I had enjoyed for some time, but had never met, such as Mrs. S from Our Shiputzim.  (Which reminds me that I want to speak at some point about how people who meet each other through their extensive written thoughts are not strangers by the time they meet in person...)


I met again bloggers I'd met at the conventions -- but this time, I had time to hear their thoughts.  I had a very interesting conversation with Gila of My Shrapnel.  She gave me much food for thought, and the reminder that it is vitally important to listen to opinions that differ from one's own.

Yisrael of My Right Word deigned to join our merry band, even without our beloved Batya ("She LEFT me," he lamented), who was off doing something -- probably important -- which we might get to read about in me-ander or Shilo Musings or at Arutz Sheva.  (Can you say "prolific"?)


Even Jameel permitted himself a short break from The Muqata to mingle with the holy Yidden.  And I found one blog I'd never encountered before -- but which could easily become a favorite -- thanks to David of Balashon - Hebrew Language Detective.

There were sweet family moments.



Toby and her daughter take a moment away from A Time of the Signs


while RivkA and her dear husband say "gvina!" for the camera, as does Robin from Safra-Knit with her cute bunchkins.

 

 
There were very nice moments between fathers and daughters and between sisters...  and between soul-sisters.


An added bonus:  the Dearly Beloved found some more cheerful students for the strumstick.

 





Everyone's kids found the usual ways to amuse themselves:  kite flying, Frisbee, gummi, wrestling on the lawn...  whatever they would have done at home, but with new friends.




There were many deep and interesting conversations on many topics:  Israeli politics, American politics, religion, kids, sports,music, beer...  even a little Toirah.

The Dearly Beloved quotes George Harrison ("I've got blistas on my fingas!") in a conversation with Gidon of How to Succeed as an Atzma'i.  I think there was music and beer in this conversation.

Klara of treesandforests and Devra of Every Day and its Challenges share an animated conversation, probably about the heavenly taste of Devra's mushroom and onion quiche.  And then Klara has a moment with Gila...


...which Gila then shares, ala "telephone," with Debbie of Jerusalem Notes: Fiberwork by Debbie.




And just like the teenagers in my yishuv, the conversation eventually broke down into groups of girls, and groups of boys.  (Nice modeling, parents.) 


We were having such a fine ol' time that the conversations went into the evening.


All in all, it was a rockin' good time.  We look forward to the next one, at which we hope to see some of the bloggers who wanted to come but couldn't make it, such as Aliyah06 of Baka Diary, the namesake of I'll Call Baila, and West Bank Mama.

Where else can you get entertainment like this -- for FREE?  Moadim l'simcha!

14 comments:

bataliyah said...

Next time, I"H!

rutimizrachi said...

BatAliyah: Amen!

Random comment: The Dearly Beloved and I had a debate over whether it was George or John who said the "blisters on my fingers" line. Of course, we turned to Professor Google - only to discover that it was RINGO! As the drummer of our family band, I am very pleased that it was a hard-working drummer who coined the phrase. But I didn't change it inside the post, because I don't have to. :-)

Debbie said...

What a great review, Ruti! And, wonderful photos. Just like reliving it. :):) Thanks, Ruti.

sparrow said...

Thanks so much for this Ruti. Now I can picture Rivkah when reading her blog, and ditto for the others.

What fun! I hope "next time in Jerusalem" for me. My dearly beloved arrives in Jerusalem in less than two weeks, lucky boy.....

Baila said...

I am so sorry I missed this! But guess what? I met Bat Aliyah's daughter! I was at a friend's sukkah for dinner when in walks a young woman. The hostess introduced her, mentioning that she made Aliyah from Baltimore and that her parents hope to follow soon. I said, HEY!--Are you Bat Aliyah's daughter, and of course she was!

That was a moment for me....which probably wouldn't have happened had I been at the picnic, bec. I would have not gone to that Sukkah party....

rutimizrachi said...

Debbie: Thank you! It was a pleasure meeting you -- even though anything done with fabric seems to me a miracle of G-d. ;-)

Sparrow: Looking forward to meeting you in person one day!

Baila: See? Nothing happens for no reason. I missed you -- but it sounds to me like you were needed elsewhere. May you and Bat Aliyah share many laughs -- in person!

toby said...

What a lovely (and thorough) review. It was a real pleasure to meet you!

Mrs. S. said...

Excellent review! It makes me feel like I was there...
:-)
Oh, and I love the title!
Moadim l'simchah, pitka tava, and chag samei'ach.

Gila said...

Lovely meeting you again...and hope I did not offend you overmuch....

RivkA with a capital A said...

Ruti -- I LOVE this post!! Thank you so much for the pics and the great sum-up!! Next picnic: Isru Chag, after Pesach, in Park Gilo!! (b'li neder!)

Mrs. S. -- you are the first person besides my husband who I have ever heard say (ok, read) "pitka tava"!!

rutimizrachi said...

Toby: Thanks for dropping by the blog. I loved seeing the way you and your teenangel daughter enjoy each other's company. May you have many long, joyful years together.

Mrs. S: Nice to finally meet you! Okay, expand my education, girls. What does "pitka tava" mean?

Gila: Rabbi Shlomo Aviner says it better than I can: "...each camp thinks it possesses the entire truth...The camp I suggest is the entire Nation of Israel. This is the true camp. Do not be confused into thinking that you have the entire truth. This is contained within the entire Nation of Israel and everyone is needed." You can't offend me. You are part of me.

RivkA: Can't wait to see you there, Beautiful! Thanks for bringing people together. It is one of your greatest gifts.

Mrs. S. said...

RivkA - Is that a good thing? :-)

Ruti - Here's Dave's excellent post on the topic:
http://www.balashon.com/2009/10/petek.html

Ye'he Sh'mey Raba Mevorach said...

Ruti - You ARE the best. I'm sorry we didn't talk more. Heck, I'm sorry I didn't speak with EVERYONE more. My daughters are still lobbying for the strumstick. :) Looking forward to the next get-together. Maybe I'll even write a post or two before then. ;)

BatAliyah you are SOOOO there! Can't wait.

Yitz said...

Yes, it was Ringo, and he said it at the end of a recording session in which they did Helter Skelter. It was a long session, and was enough to give blisters even to Ringo.